A significant step in buying used luxury cars is taking them for a test drive. Looks, documents, and history don’t make sense unless you feel that belongingness once you drive it. It’s true; to own a car, you need to feel that vibe that calms you. After all, you will be spending a lot of time sitting in this cabin, so it’s only fair that you take all the benefits of this test drive that you have been offered to analyze if it is a match for you. But how? Will just driving the car a few meters work? Is that it? It’s not; obviously, you will have to drive the vehicle, but while you are going, there are a few things that you need to check or analyze.
First, and it should probably go without saying, please do not purchase used luxury cars before taking them to a test drive. This is because, no matter how good they look and how credible the dealership is- you need to be sure. You are paying in lakhs here, so the smart thing is not to take a chance.
Another thing is, do not trigger your warning sensors if the dealership denies you a test drive before you pay a token amount. Most dealerships of used luxury cars do the same, which is justifiable because these are not just any regular cars. They sell luxury cars, and they require another level of maintenance. But we understand it can get difficult for you to shortlist one car that you love from such a huge lot of exotic cars.
But all you have to do is ask the dealership to show you the variants that check all the boxes off your requirement checklist. For instance, if you require a spacious car, ask the dealer to show you SUVs like a Range Rover- they are great for off-roading. Similarly, jot down what you need and ask for that. Do not get distracted- it’s pretty easy to get lured into a used luxury car dealership. We don’t want you to take something home you do not require but love.
Now that you have shortlisted that one car that you want to take on a test drive, this is what you have to do next.
Tips for finding your dream car-
Here are a few generic tips for you-
- Something that you can’t ignore is documentation. We could incorporate this point later, but since you’re here to buy used luxury cars, we get that this would be the first step that you will have to take. Since dealerships do not allow customers to test drive without the token, you need to cross-check documentation firsthand to figure out which car is worth spending for. So ask for the vehicle history report- most dealerships provide that without even asking- check that through. A few things you should look for here are-
(a) Whether the previous owner had serviced the vehicle at an authorized service center or not?
(b) Whether any significant parts were replaced? If yes, were all the replaced parts original?
(c) Was the vehicle in any major accidents? If yes, how major was the damage to the car?
(d) Did the previous owner purchase any insurance and warranty policies? If yes, were any insurance claims raised in that period by the owner?
(There is a possibility that the vehicle history report lacks this particular piece of information. If so, you are always free to shoot questions at the dealer.)
Going through the documents thoroughly can give you a good idea of the car’s current condition. If you find any loopholes in the information that has been provided to you, ask questions- any ifs and buts must not be appreciated!
- Make sure you take someone who knows used luxury cars. Even basic knowledge will work here; we want someone who can analyze the car’s cabin and other features when you concentrate on its performance and how it feels to drive on the road.
- Also, reading a few reviews online can help you spot a few irregularities that the owners of similar used luxury cars have been facing. If you already know what problems people are encountering, you can easily cross-check your vehicle for it. For example, if you find people who own the variant you have paid the token for are suffering from weird engine noise, you can quickly see if that’s the case with this car. Without knowing what you should look for, you would just be sitting ideally, waiting for a miracle to happen.
- Carry a quick checklist with you, so you don’t forget all you need to check before booking this car because you can’t afford to ignore things at this point.
- Have an alternative to compare it with. In our opinion, a wise decision is taken when the comparison is made between the two best suitable options. This way, you get to assess the pros and cons of both options and see which one you like the best.
Specifications, features, performance, and everything about used luxury cars that matters!
Powertrain red flags that you must not ignore!
The powertrain is one of the essential parts of any car. Because it gives your vehicle the power, it needs to provide you with memorable driving experiences. And hence it’s supercritical that you provide special attention to the car’s powertrain on a test drive.
Things you shouldn’t ignore about the powertrain-
- Open the car’s hood and see any oil or coolant leakages. Constant oil leaks can damage the rubber hoses, and also the engine can completely cease functioning. Moreover, if you end up ignoring this, get it fixed as soon as possible because otherwise, you risk losing control of your vehicle on the road. !!!Safety Alert!!!
- Excess smoke is another red flag. This could be because the engine is burning the oil or because the engine consumes more oil than usual due to worn-out components. Whatever the possible reason for this smoke is, it is not worth it.
- If it takes more than required efforts to shift the transmission.
- If you notice weird sounds while driving this car, chances are there is something unavoidably wrong with this vehicle.
Must check exterior elements of used luxury cars
Most people think test drives are all about how the car performs and how good of a driving experience it can give to the driver and the passenger. But the truth is, just because it’s called a “test drive” does not mean that you are not allowed to check other things. So take your time and check the outsides well.
- You can’t ignore the tires. Why? Because that’s what keeps the car’s foothold strong on the road. And worn-out tires are a significant reason most accidents occur- due to less friction or grip on the road. Moreover, worn-out tires can also increase your engine’s fuel consumption.
- Look for dents, scratches, and any damage that could be because of an accident or collision. If you were aware of this incident, you could negotiate the price. If you weren’t, ask questions and only go ahead with this purchase if you are satisfied.
- See if the headlights and taillights work correctly, including the rear mirrors and wiper blades. Also, used luxury cars come with different luxury features; ask your dealer for a list of all external features so you can cross-check them beforehand.
Must check interior features of used luxury cars
Now that you’ve inspected the car from the outside, it’s time you explore the cabin. Let’s not forget a car’s cabin matters just as much as the car’s powertrain. The reason is that it’s the cabin where you spend most of your time. So it should be incredibly comfortable and spacious, and everything inside should function properly.
- Check if the cabin is spacious enough and if everything is intact. You need to check the headroom and the legroom and do not forget to inspect the storage compartments.
- Check if the seats are comfortable enough. Inspect the internal features like the car’s infotainment, air conditioner, seat ventilation, cruise control, mood lighting, and everything specific to the vehicle. Use it, check it, and take it.
- Talking about the internal elements, do not forget to check the car oil. Just open the hood and use the dipstick to check the oil level. If it is low, ask the dealer why the car’s oil has not been changed and question how often the car oil changed when the previous owner owned it. These questions are essential to know whether the car owner maintained it correctly or not.
That’s about it. These are all the things you need to remember while doing a test drive. Apart from these things, you can point out anything that might look odd to you. If you are a regular driver, you won’t take long to recognize a car that is not worth it. Moreover, those who drive often know a few things that non-drivers don’t. For instance, the experience will tell them how long a car’s engine takes to heat or how smoothly it should shift lanes. So that is something we need not tell you.
Also, if you are looking for used luxury cars, don’t forget to check out Kings Auto’s showroom. One of the most preeminent merchandisers of pre-owned luxury cars in India. We promise, you will find what you are looking for on our website.